Haileybury Almaty is situated in the beautiful city of Almaty in Kazakhstan and opened in 2008 in association with Haileybury College in the United Kingdom. The project was financed by the shareholders of Capital Partners, a local investment firm and other local benefactors, and runs on a not for profit basis. Their vision was to create a British curriculum school on the model of Haileybury UK.
Haileybury Almaty is now firmly established and offers a broad, liberal education in the best traditions of British independent schooling. It caters to the needs of both local and international children. The school offers British style examinations (the General Certificate of Education and the International General Certificate of Education). In August 2011 it opened a Sixth Form and pupils are now being prepared for Advanced levels (AS levels and A2s) and entry to overseas universities. Pupils also study for the IELTS certificate, which is required by many overseas universities. Haileybury Almaty, and its new sister school Haileybury Astana in the capital, maintain a close relationship with Haileybury UK.
For more information on Haileybury in Astana, visit their website at Haileybury Astana.
A Brief History of Haileybury UK
In 1806 the Honourable East India Company commissioned William E Wilkins (later the designer of the London National Gallery, of Downing College, Cambridge, and much of the University of London) to plan the buildings for its new training college for civil servants for India.
On an area of empty heath, not far from the manor of Hailey, Wilkins created his buildings in a neo-classical style round a large grass quadrangle (still said to be the largest academic quadrangle in England) and here the East India College flourished for 50 years.
It was one of the country’s most distinguished centres of scholarship and teaching and the training ground for generations of those destined to govern British India.
Four years after its closure in 1858, Haileybury opened its gates once again, this time as a public school, under the headmastership of the Reverend A G Butler. By the middle 1870s, the number of boys was close to 500. In 1874, a Haileybury housemaster was appointed the first headmaster of the United Services College at Westward Ho!, which later moved to Windsor and became the Imperial Service College.
In 1942, Haileybury and the ISC combined to become “Haileybury and Imperial Service College”, now known as Haileybury.
Today Haileybury is a co-educational boarding school located in Hertford, England in between London and Cambridge on a beautiful 500 acre site located 20 miles from Central London in rural Hertfordshire. There is a large international community at Haileybury with many different nationalities represented, including students from Kazakhstan. For more information on Haileybury in the UK, visit their website at www.haileybury.com.
Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI)
Visited 2260 times, 3 Visits today